The concept of All on 4 dental implants was pioneered in the 1990s by Portuguese dentist Dr. Paulo Malo. This innovative full mouth restoration solution involves using just 4 strategically placed dental implants to support a complete set of fixed replacement teeth.
Unlike traditional methods that required 6-10 dental implants to stabilize fixed bridges, the All on 4 technique has revolutionized options for patients needing rehabilitation of failing dentition. This guide will cover everything you need to know about All on 4 dental implants.
Benefits of All on 4 Implants:
- Fewer implants needed for full arch of teeth
- Immediate function with fixed prosthetic teeth
- Greater comfort than removable dentures
- Lower costs than conventional treatments
- Shorter recovery time
All on 4 implants components:
|Anchor the restoration by fusing with jawbone
|Connect implants to prosthetic teeth
|Custom-designed for aesthetics and function
The unique appeal of All on 4 implants lies in its minimally invasive procedure that makes replacing multiple failing teeth simpler. With cutting-edge 3D planning and advanced implant materials like titanium, complete smile restoration is possible without extensive surgeries or drawn-out treatment.
This guide will explore every aspect of All on 4 dental implants Hallandale - from how they work, costs and eligibility factors to finding top-quality dentists offering this solution.
How All on 4 Dental Implants Work
The All on 4 treatment concept revolves around placing just four dental implants in strategic positions to support a full arch of replacement teeth.
Two of the implants are placed vertically in the front of the jaw, while the other two are angled at 30-45 degrees in the back. This tilted approach allows the posterior implants to avoid vulnerable areas like nerves or sinuses and achieve better stability by engaging denser jawbone.
Components of All on 4 Implants
|Fuse with the jawbone to serve as anchor points
|Connect the implants to support teeth
|Custom milled for optimal shape, color and bite
The All on 4 Implant Surgery
The procedure to place All on 4 implants takes 1-2 hours and follows these key steps:
- 3D imaging for virtual treatment planning
- Administering anesthesia
- Making small incisions in the gums
- Placing 4 titanium implants with guiders
- Securing abutments onto implants
- Taking impressions of the jaw
- Designing and ordering prosthetic teeth
- Fixing temporary teeth within 48 hours
Compared to using 6-8 or more implants, the All on 4 procedure is less invasive. Patients also benefit from immediate functionality with securely fixed temporary teeth placed soon after surgery. The final prosthetic teeth are designed for maximum aesthetics, comfort and natural chewing capability.
Over 3-6 months, the jawbone fuses completely with the implants through a process called osseointegration. The result is a strong, durable anchor for your new smile!
Unmatched Benefits of All on 4 Dental Implants
The All on 4 dental implant technique provides numerous advantages over conventional full-arch replacement options:
Fewer implants, lower costs
- Only 4 titanium implants needed to support a full set of teeth
- Much more affordable than 6-8 single implants
- Reduces overall treatment fees by $5000+ typically
- Fixed temporary prosthetic teeth placed soon after surgery
- No need to wait 4-6 months for site healing
- Restored smile and ability to eat foods right away
Enhanced comfort and stability
- Teeth feel secure and won't dislodge
- Avoid pain or soreness from ill-fitting dentures
- Improved self-esteem with a natural-looking smile
Faster surgery and recovery
- Full mouth rehabilitation done in one convenient surgery
- Shorter and less complex procedure than multiple implants
- Quick return to normal life in just a few days
Lasting, reliable solution
- Success rates over 95% for implants and teeth lasting 10-15 years+
- Effective treatment for replacing failing teeth
- Doesn't rely on less reliable natural teeth
Suitability for complex cases
- Ideal option for those with bone loss or atrophy
- Can use zygomatic or tilted implants to navigate anatomy
- Predictable results without extensive grafting surgeries
For anyone needing restoration of 0 to 16 upper or lower teeth, All on 4 implants deliver the optimal cost, comfort, longevity and convenience combination.
Am I a Candidate for All on 4 Dental Implants?
The innovative All on 4 technique can permanently replace failing or missing teeth for many patients, but does require certain eligibility criteria for successful outcomes. Ideal candidates include:
Need full mouth restoration
- Have failing teeth or ill-fitting dentures to replace
- Missing most or all upper or lower natural teeth
- Want to regain smile aesthetics and chewing function
Adequate bone supply
Though All on 4 implants require less bone than conventional methods, patients still need sufficient bone to anchor the 4 titanium implants:
- At least 5-7mm bone width
- 10-12mm bone depth for lower jaw
- Enough density to stabilize implants
If inadequate bone is present, grafting procedures may be done first to rebuild the area.
Healthy oral environment
The highest success rates occur when patients have:
- Good oral hygiene practices
- Little to no history of periodontal disease
- Well-managed other health conditions
- Non-smoker or willing to quit smoking
With vigilance to prevent infections and inflammation, the All on 4 prosthetic teeth can last 20 years on average.
Prepared for lifestyle changes
People getting All on 4 implants must commit to:
- Special diet for initial bone healing
- Avoiding certain high-impact activities temporarily
- Diligent long-term oral hygiene
- Regular dental checkups 3-4 times a year
When selected appropriately based on bone quantity/quality, health status, lifestyle factors, and patient goals, over 98% of All on 4 implant recipients can enjoy upgraded self-confidence, nutrition, comfort and quality of life thanks to this innovative solution
Potential Risks of All on 4 Dental Implants
While All on 4 dental implants have an excellent track record of safety and success when properly executed, patients should be aware of the following potential risks and limitations:
Rare implant failures
- Chance of titanium implant failing to fuse with bone (osseointegrate)
- Failure rate very low at 1-2% typically
- Usually caught early and can replace with minimal hassle
Limited lifespan of prosthetic teeth
- Acrylic teeth likely to need replacing every 5-7 years
- More durable options like zirconia last 10-15 years+
- Higher aesthetic and material cost for these premium teeth
- All on 4 relies on tilting implants to engage stronger rear bone
- Atrophied or deficient bone may still require invasive bone grafts first
- Rear implants small chance of hitting inferior alveolar nerve
- Can cause numbness or tingling of lower lip or chin
- Experienced surgeons can avoid nerve proximity
- Upper jaw implants close to maxillary sinuses
- Can prompt sinus infection in some cases
- Typically self-resolves or needs antibiotics
With careful treatment planning, experienced surgeons, and diligent at-home oral care, most recipients of All on 4 implants won't face any major adverse events or long-term negative impacts. Still, these risks should be considered before deciding if it's the best tooth replacement option for your needs and preferences.
Cost Breakdown for All on 4 Dental Implants
Replacing an entire upper or lower arch of failing teeth with non-removable All on 4 implants carries significant upfront costs but eliminates longer-term expenses of temporary dentures and treatments.
Cost Components for All on 4 Implants:
- Initial consultation and scans: $0 - $500
- Tooth extractions if needed: $500 - $1500
- 4 titanium implants: $4000 - $6000
- Abutments: $1000 - $2000
- Custom prosthetic teeth: $3000+
Factors affecting All on 4 implant costs:
- Choice of basic acrylic vs. premium zirconia teeth
- Inclusion of bone grafting if necessary
- Complexity due to low bone quantity/quality
- Geographic region and dentist fees
|Tooth Replacement Type
|Basic All on 4
|$9000 - $12,000
|Premium All on 4
Payment and Finance Options:
Most dental clinics offer:
- Extended payment plans at 0% interest
- Low or no-down flexible leasing
- Third-party medical credit financing
- Superannuation early release in some cases
With innovations reducing the materials and appointment time needed, All on 4 implants now make this permanent tooth replacement solution affordable through manageable monthly installments for many individuals. Financial assistance can offset out-of-pocket expenses as well.
Ask your dentist to fully explain costs, insurance coverage, Demo here payment breaks up, and discount or financing incentives to access quality care.
FAQs - Your All on 4 Dental Implants Questions Answered
Considering or received All on 4 implants and still have some lingering questions? Below we answer the most frequently asked questions about this innovative tooth replacement method.
How long do All on 4 dental implants last?
- With proper maintenance and oral care, over 95-98% of All on 4 implants successfully osseointegrate and remain functionally stable for 15-25 years.
- The limiting factor is often deterioration of the prosthetic teeth attached to the titanium implants which may need replacement every decade. More durable options like zirconia teeth can reach 20 years though.
Is All on 4 suitable if I am missing back molars and premolars?
- Yes, the All on 4 technique works very well to replace missing posterior teeth. The dental implants are angled to maximize bone engagement so even without back teeth, solid stabilization is achieved.
Is getting All on 4 dental implants painful?
- Patients report very little pain or discomfort with All on 4 implant surgery under IV sedation or general anesthesia. Typical sensations include:
- Pressure or pushing during the actual placement
- Mild soreness for a few days after
- Temporary inflammation while gums and bone heal
- Prescription medications easily manage any postoperative sensitivity.
What is the All on 4 dental implant process - how many visits or steps are required?
The All on 4 implant timeline progresses over 3-5 visits:
- Initial exam and treatment planning visit
- Implant placement surgery appointment
- Impressions for prosthetic teeth 2-6 weeks post-op
- Permanent prosthetic teeth delivery at 3-6 months
- Follow-up and maintenance visits every 6-12 months
What kind of at-home care or maintenance is required with All on 4 implants?
- Brush twice and floss thoroughly around the implant teeth
- Use antimicrobial mouthwash
- Avoid very hard, sticky, or chewy foods
- See your dentist every 6 months
- Have prosthetic teeth professionally cleaned annually
- Call your dentist if you notice swelling, damage, loosening etc.
Proper oral hygiene and avoiding damage to the implant supported teeth will help them function optimally for decades.
Do I need bone grafting for All on 4 dental implants?
- The angled placement of the back implants often precludes bone grafts for All on 4 candidates. Assessment of bone quantity and density via CT scans determines if adequate bone exists.
- Atrophied ridges or bone loss may still require some bone grafting for successful integration. Your dentist will advise the best approach.
Can I get All on 4 dental implants if I smoke?
- Smoking raises risks of implant failure and complications. Quitting entirely is highly recommended.
- However, with excellent oral care and close maintenance, smokers can still have lasting outcomes with All on 4 implants. Inform your dentist about smoking to assess suitability.
About Our Dental Practice: Your Best Dentistry For All-on 4 Dental Implants in Hallandale
Svetlana Dental and Esthetic Center in Miami specializes in affordable effective cosmetic dentistry and smile makeovers. They use the latest techniques and technology to transform smiles. At our state-of-the-art practice, we provide all-on-4 dental implants treatment to give you the smile you deserve.
- Cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening, veneers, dental implants and crowns to improve appearance.
- Full mouth reconstruction to completely rehabilitate and reshape teeth entire mouth
- Treatment planning and smile makeovers to align and reshape teeth for an enhanced smile
- General and specialist dental care using cutting-edge equipment
Dr. Anokhina Svetlana, helps patients achieve natural looking, healthy smiles affordably in Miami. For exceptional dental service, and five-star patient experiences in Miami Hallandale, FL, choose our dental office. Call today to schedule your consultation!