Zirconia Crowns: Description, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Posted on: Sep 2 2020
We get asked so many times about Zirconia, what are the disadvantages and advantages of this material. We have been using Zirconia in our practice for a long time and we can confidently say that this is the best that can be used in the manufacture of crowns.
Zirconia crowns are orthopedic structures that are made from a unique material – zirconium dioxide. This material is obtained from the mineral zirconium, which has a bright white color and is extremely durable.
Let’s take a look at the main benefits:
- Zirconia crowns are visually almost impossible to distinguish from adjacent, real teeth, they have a color and transparency as close as possible to natural tooth enamel
- It is the most durable material that can be used for crowns
- A wide range of colors, the ability to apply several layers and mix colors to give the tooth maximum naturalness
- Prosthetics with zirconia crowns allows you to qualitatively recreate the correct chewing load in the oral cavity and thereby avoid thinning of the jaw bone tissue
- Due to their light weight, they are ideal for implantation
- Suitable for patients with a tendency to allergic reactions
- You will not have to change the crown in the next 15-20 years
There are almost no disadvantages of zirconium dentures. Some people consider the high price to be a disadvantage of zirconium crowns, but it is fully justified by their quality, durability and is quite explainable by the high cost of the material itself and the complexity of the prosthesis production process.
When you need to get a crown:
- If you have a badly decayed tooth that cannot be restored with a filling
- After root canal treatment. We highly recommend installing a crown, because your tooth will be very fragile and can break at any time
- During the implantation process, the final moments are the installation of the crown
- If you need to raise the bite because the chewing surface of your teeth is very worn
The process of installing crowns:
- First of all, we need to clean your tooth and prepare it for a crown
- Next, we make an impression and send it to the laboratory
- No worries you won’t go home without a tooth. We will install a temporary crown for you, with which you can pass up to 2 weeks
- After 2 weeks, you need to visit our office again to install your Zirconia crown
Can complications arise?
If the prosthetics with zirconium is carried out with strict adherence to the rules of technology, and the teeth are properly prepared for the installation of the crown, no complications should be observed after the treatment. But if you suddenly have a tooth under the crown, your gums are swollen, your body temperature rises, you should urgently go to the clinic and see a doctor. Such signs may indicate the onset of the inflammatory process.
If you still have any questions please call our office at 954-457-8308 or fill out the information here.
Posted in: Uncategorized